It’s been eight months since my last post, way too long since I’ve written anything. I keep meaning to take pictures of ingredients and write up the measurements for a new blog post but unfortunately never get around to it.
The kids came buzzing from school yesterday with news of an upcoming snow day and all the excitement that goes with the season’s first snow. And what better way to celebrate a cold day off than with warm spicy soup? I’d initially intended to make chicken tortilla soup, but soon realized that I was out of tortillas. Then I thought I could switch to some kind of chili but we were out of beans! LOL However. I was in the mood for some sort of Tex Mex inspired soup so I put all the ingredients on the counter and decided to see what could become of it.
And we ended up with: Chicken Lime Soup! Ta-da!
This soup is a little tangy, a little spicy but wholly delicious. The cheese calms it down a bit, and the chicken brings in good texture to the velvety soup. The kids loved the toppings, we only had tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream on hand, but you could even add avocado, corn, green onion or a dash of salsa to your soup.
Here’s how it’s made :
One chicken breast, uncut
1 tbsp taco seasoning
1.5 cup onion, roughly chopped
1 large bell pepper, cubed (any color)
1 10 oz can diced tomato with green chillies
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cream cheese
5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 tbsp cooking oil
sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 375F. Marinate chicken breast with the taco seasoning and juice of half a lime. Bake for 30 minutes, or until done. Shred with a fork. Mix to soak up any baking juices.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot, add oil, garlic, onion and peppers. Cook for 5-7 minutes until soft. Add in cumin, salt, canned tomato. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add in flour and cook for another 3-5 minutes until the raw taste is gone.
- Transfer to blender. Add cream cheese and 1 cup stock. Blend until smooth.
- Pour back into the pot, add in remainder stock, juice of other half of the lime, and 1/2 tbsp lime zest.
- Bring to boil, and then simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken and cilantro, turn off heat and serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, a squeeze of lime and tortilla chips. Enjoy!
If you don’t have canned tomato + chilli, you could always use 1 cup of chopped fresh tomato and one green chilli or jalapeno depending on how spicy you like it.