When we first got married, my husband and I used to live in another city, where we had some relatives. One of them used to invite us to her home regularly, and almost always made her delicious signature taco salad. Once I found out how easy it is to make this salad, I started serving it quite often also.
This dish is a meal in itself and is perfect for brunch, or to serve as a side at a barbecue. Just this week, I brought this salad to two get-togethers. I’ve made a couple of additions to the original recipe, which has gone over well with my guests. The taste of the spicy meat, tossed with the sweet peppers and crunchy chips is a delightful combination.
I’ve found that this salad is also a hit with the kids. Although not technically ‘healthy’ because of the creamy dressing, it does get them eating a good amount of veggies. I hope you’ll give this recipe a try at your next get together – I’m certain it’ll be a big hit.
This is how the Taco Salad is made :
1. Cook one pound of ground beef or ground chicken with taco seasoning mix, following the instructions on the sachet. Keep aside to cool.
2. Once cooled, mix the beef with an entire 8 oz bottle of Thousand Island salad dressing and 1/3 cup plain yogurt or sour cream. Pour into a salad bowl.
3. Chop 2 tomatoes, 1 bell pepper, 1/4 cup green onions, one chopped avocado (optional) and 1/4 cup cilantro. Place over the meat mix.
4. Add 1/2 cup of shredded Mexican cheese to the salad bowl.
5. Pour in 1.5 cups of kidney or black beans.
6. Chop one head of lettuce and add to the salad bowl.
7. When you’re ready to eat, toss all the ingredients, making sure the meat/dressing covers all the vegetables.
8. Top with crushed corn chips and serve.
Note : You can refrigerate the salad at step #6 for up to 3 hours before serving, and toss it together when you’re ready to eat. For a vegetarian meal, cook the beans in the taco seasoning in place of the meat.
Photo credit : https://cameramina.wordpress.com/
2 thoughts on “Taco Salad Recipe”
Waiting for your new story
Looks lovely, will definitely try it out 🙂